Born in 1974, Antoine Rameau is a French artist raised between the green vineyards of Burgundy and the legendary blue seas of Brittany.
Having lived in Paris, Toulouse, New York and Glasgow, Rameau travelled the world, exploring cultures, drawing, taking photos and nurturing his passion for wildlife, human nature, storytelling, mythology and history.
He first discovered South-East Asia in 1997 (before heading to the Silk Road) and has been living in Hong Kong, with his family, since 2010.
Inspired by an eclectic range of sources including comics, Pop Art, Street Art and the Recycled Art movement, Rameau started experimenting with collage early on.
He explored different techniques, from Surrealist juxtaposition to Cubist construction, and slowly developed his unique style while collecting evocative images of mixed origins (namely Western and Asian) and turning them into oneiric new visual worlds.
Each collage tells an elaborate story filled with multiple symbols, historical and mythological references, and often satirical messages, which viewers can interpret based on their own experiences.
His works are fully hand-made: all pictures and papers are cut, transformed, sometimes even painted, and glued together through a complex and meticulous “recycling” process. Rameau loves the idea of “giving photos a true second-life” being part of a new visual creation. “Sometimes, pictures that I mixed have absolutely nothing in common but I amazingly feel they were meant to be assembled together”, he says.
A lush representation of nature was playing a key role in his early fantastic works, where trees, flowers, rocks and wild (often weird) animals were taking central stage. In sharp contrast with these idealized nature, the artefacts of technology and standardization embodied an invasive and sometimes threatening modernity.
A fervent space, mythology and history enthusiast, Rameau has been creating extensive sets of 3-D vintage-style collages, that Hong Kong art lovers discovered in his latest solo shows: KOSMOGONIA in 2016, ODYSSEY and ARCHIVES in 2017, invoking universal myths, the origins of the Universe, historical events... His creations draw from a singular combination of vintage photographs, old road maps and naval charts, newspapers and comics.
Rameau has also collaborated with Parisian architect and designer Antoine Pradels to customise modular luminous structures, called “Cosmogonies”. Stylish, colourful wall lamps featuring Rameau's photo-collages reproduced onto translucent Japanese paper were showcased at SOGO Club (Causeway Bay) in 2016.
Rameau's inspirational art keeps adorning the walls, ceilings and benches of the emblematic Hong Kong tramway since May 2016. Travel “arty” in coach #151, and feast your eyes upon his giant collage posters on board !
Rameau's work is regularly shown in Hong Kong:
- ARTEMISS GALLERY (Singapore) at the Asia Contemporary Art Show - May 2013
- CANVAS GALLERY: 1st solo show in Hong Kong - December 2013
- B FELIX: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - May 2014
- PMQ: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - June 2014
- HONG KONG ARTS CENTRE, July 2014-May 2015
- KEE CLUB - May 2015
- KARIN WEBER GALLERY: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - May 2015
- AFFORDABLE ART FAIR: May 2015
- SOGO Club: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - May-June 2016
- SPACE 27 HK: solo show - June 2016
- AVENUE DES ARTS - CONSIGG - September 2016
- KEE CLUB: Live performance for the opening Art Gallery Association's party of the HONG KONG ART WEEK - October 2016
- AWETHENTIC GALLERY (curated by AVENUE DES ARTS - CONSIGG): December 201-January 2017
- KUMQUAT GALLERY: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - May-June 2017
- AWETHENTIC GALLERY: group exhibition “Women in Focus” - May-June 2017
- CHARBON Art Space: collective wall art performance: “Wall Cycle” as guest artist - December 2017
- USAGI: solo show - December 2017
- KARIN WEBER GALLERY: solo show - Associated Project of LE FRENCH MAY arts festival - May 2018
- AFFORDABLE ART FAIR: curated by EVART GALLERY (Singapore) - May 2018
and in Singapore:
- SOCIETE GENERALE GALLERY, Alliance Française: 1st solo show - November 2015
- BRUNO GALLERY: Associated Project of VOILAH! French arts festival - April-May 2016.
For more details, please contact: www.antoinerameau.com
Instagram : antoine_rameau
Please watch the live-making video of “Midas' Dream” collage on: vimeo.com/58332598
Video of my exhibition at Hong Kong PMQ Centre: